We are currently looking for one or more freelance proofreaders. More information below.
To find out about volunteering with us, please click here
Missio is the Catholic Church's official charity for overseas mission, operating from a small, friendly office in Central London, close to Victoria rail and tube station. We have a freelance vacancy to be engaged on a Casual Contract for a Proofreader to work with our supportive fundraising team. The role requires someone with good proofreading and copy-editing skills to work on a variety of Missio’s publications and educational resources in MS Word and Adobe formats.
The role will be responsible for:
- Correcting syntactical spelling and grammatical errors in the digital or hard copy supplied
- Ensuring stylistic consistency in accordance with Missio’s style guide
- Identifying document inconsistencies, and querying or correcting as appropriate
- Ensuring that titles, and text correspond, and that graphics are present and relevant or appropriate space has been allowed.
- Ensuring that captions correspond to photographs and remain consistent with surrounding text.
- Ensuring that page and paragraph number sequencing is consistent throughout documents.
- Ensuring that titles and body text type size, style and fonts are consistent and aligned.
- Checking any question regarding copy compliance with the teaching and manner of expression of the Catholic Church with document authors.
The role is freelance and will be engaged under a casual working contract. Suitable candidates will be required to demonstrate a commitment to meeting short deadlines. Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader for marking-up PDF documents is essential.
The role will mainly work remotely and be remunerated at an hourly rate c£20ph, subject to experience. Commitment is for 4 main pieces of work per year with approximately 10 hours required per piece of work, plus an average of 5 hours per month proofreading and editing. Annual calendar proofreading will be additional.
Closing date for applications: 26 January 2018
Interviews: 2 February 2018
Applicants should forward a full CV and covering statement to:
Richard Hopper, firstname.lastname@example.org
23 Eccleston Square, London SW1V 1NU
Telephone: 020 7821 9755